The MBA Hub
As I have written about in the past, I have been involved in forming a Women In Business student group here at PSU.
We have recently been recognized as a forming group by the Student Activities and Leadership Programs (SALP) and have appointed our inaugural leadership team.
We have held a few events this term, including a kick-off happy hour at Rogue, a faculty panel discussion and a leadership team potluck.
These were all fun and relaxed ways to support our mission of providing leadership, mentorship, networking, and educational opportunities for business students with a specific focus on issues facing women.
We also focus on giving back. This holiday season, Women in Business “competed” in a donation drive with Net Impact, collecting items for the Salvation Army’s White Shield Center and New Avenues for Youth. Faculty, staff and students came together to help these two great organizations.
We have also appointed our 2012-2013 Women in Business Leadership team:
- VP Finance: Stephanie Moshofsky (MBA 2013)
- VP Communications: Mallory Miller (MBA 2013)
- VP Professional Networking: Mengyao Luan (MIM 2013)
- VP Social Responsibility: Kyna Alders and Meghan Rupp (both MBA 2013)
- Co-VP Internal Operations: Susan Forrester (MIM 2013) and Kati Bohren (Healthcare MBA 2014)
- VP Events: Danielle Johnson (MBA 2013) and Kati Bohren (Healthcare MBA 2014)
Here are some of the events that are in the works for 2013 (stay tuned for details):
- Party Near the Park – Women in Business will have a table along with other student organizations on January 10, 2013 on the 2nd floor of Smith Memorial Student Union. Stop by and meet our team! We will be there from 11am-3pm.
- Welcome back happy hour – This will be sometime in the January to welcome Graduate Business Students back to school at a fun, casual happy hour event.
- More panels – Although the specifics of these panels are not yet set, we are considering “Women in IT” or “Women in Entrepreneurship” panels.
- Community outreach – Sustainability is a big part of PSU and it’s a critical focus for our group. Stay tuned for volunteer opportunities!
- Partnerships with other student groups – Stay tuned for information about partnerships with Net Impact, Supply and Logistics Management Association (SLMA) and other student groups around campus.
By Mallory Miller: Mallory has experience in marketing, management and sales. She plans to apply her experience, interests, and skills to a career in product marketing and business development. She will graduate from the Portland State full time MBA program in June 2013. You can connect with Mallory on LinkedIn.